Saturday 6 March 2010

Pictures!


These two ladies and their babies were in the nutrition unit at the hospital and their kids have cerebral palsy. I was showing them a movie of a family who had a boy with athetoid cerebral palsy. I was hoping it would be encouraging and inspiring or at least show them that others even in western cultures have struggles with children with the same problems. It was neat that these two both had relatively good English. The picture below is of a cutting board I had the workshop guy make for one of my young stroke patients so that she can independently peal and chop produce. It's a simple concept (you can buy them in Canada similar to this) but it seemed to work well:) This lady is grinding peanuts to make "gnut" groundnut paste or as we might call it peanut butter.







This was my dining room in the guesthouse that I also ended up using as my kitchen. That was the little electric coil I cooked on for awhile:)










Above I am enjoying a coke in Kenya. I went to Kenya in January in order to get another Uganda visa stamped in my passport. I was accompanied by one of the hospital drivers who is half Kenyan:) I must admit not only does the coke bottle look different but it tastes really sweet compared to Ugandan coke:( I wasn't too impressed. I now can say I've been to Kenya and have a stamp in my passport to prove it although I only spent about 2 hrs there! Below is the bus I took from Kampala to Kumi after Christmas break. It was not the most enjoyable experience. Yesterday, I took the bus for the second time and again it was not fun! God was good though and the stranger in the crowd (who I asked for directions) on my walk to the bus station happened to also be getting a bus going the same direction as me. Her English was really good, she is a Christian and she was so helpful. We got seats together and finally left, stopping in a petrol (gas) station after about 5 minutes of driving. After sitting for about 45 minutes at the petrol station we realized there was some mechanical fault they were trying to fix. We decided to try going back to the bus park to get another bus. My friend went to check and then came to call me to go get the other bus... and of course it was full by the time we got there. We waited and waited and then got news that the mechanically faulty bus was now working so we went back to the petrol station. Got our seats and finally left. The bus I think stopped about 15 times at least before reaching Mbale which was my destination. The trip which should have taken about 3-4 hours ended up taking about 5 1/2 hrs! The passengers were getting fed up with it, especially after having been delayed so long already. I found out that the girl who helped me actually knows the German nurse at Kumi Hospital whose room I have taken over in my new place. Apparently my new Ugandan friend's sister used to be a Dr. at Kumi Hospital. Small world.
The sound of the "repaired" bus still unnerved me with it's loud clunking noises as we drove. The wild swerving and speeding of the driver also was not too reassuring! This would be why I do my utmost to avoid taking public transport here. But I was relieved to finally arrive at the guesthouse with my two backpacks likely weighing at least 50 lbs combined hanging off me! I can't believe I still haven't learned the art of packing light:(
Sorry I didn't manage to upload more pics in Kampala. I ended up getting food poisoning or something so was feeling pretty rough for a couple days there this weekend! I was soooo glad to not be in my home with only an outdoor pit latrine!
Will see if I can post more pics soon and have to take more pics of my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment