Tuesday 18 May 2010

KAMPALA!

May 17, 2010

Greetings from Kampala Uganda! An update on my life is long overdue now… but there has been a lot on my mind and I have been rather drained from transitions recently so I hope you can extend some grace!

I know some of you have been aware of decisions that I was facing regarding whether to remain in Kumi or to move elsewhere, and if elsewhere, then where! There have been numerous factors contributing to the crisis situation at Kumi Hospital, which has been having rather negative ramifications since around December 2009. The Leprosy Mission a while ago had asked me whether I would consider being re-located for the remainder of my time or even if I should possibly return to Canada. Since I have already spent a good period of time in Uganda and adapted at least somewhat to culture and places here, it seemed to make more sense for me to look within Uganda at organizations that could utilize my Occupational Therapy skills. Through networking and prayer regarding what to do, the doors were open for me to volunteer at Mukisa Foundation and also at Mengo Hospital (both are in Kampala and within walking distance of each other). I still was trusting God to lead me to a suitable place to stay. This prayer was answered through a referral to the ICU Guesthouse which I received from two Dutch girls who I met briefly at Kumi Hospital. I was a little concerned I would be moving to a mini Holland surrounded by Dutch speaking people I wouldn’t understand! However, God even addressed this concern with an added blessing. A couple of Canadian girls (from Victoria) whom I had gotten to know during our overlapping time in Kumi, also had an unexpected change in their living arrangements in Kampala and through my recommendation also ended up moving to the ICU guesthouse a couple of days after me;) The other bonus is that the guesthouse is also situated within about 20-30 minute walk to both places of work.

So it would appear that the way was being paved for me to re-locate to Kampala. Making this decision was incredibly challenging for me though, in part because it was difficult to leave friends and colleagues behind in a crisis situation. Also, because I did not want others to feel like I was “giving up” and “abandoning” Kumi Hospital. I personally had to deal with my disappointment of not being able to complete more of my intended commitment to Kumi. However, I also felt like God had encouraged me with Isaiah 55:8… “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.” Sometimes God surprises us with an unexpected turn in the road and it can be hard to venture around that bend when you can’t really see what will meet you around the corner… but have to step out in faith.

On my last assembly on Friday May 7th one of the staff also quoted in Ecclesiastes about there being a time and a season for everything and the time for me to be in Kumi was now at an end. So with very mixed feelings I packed up my life there and tried to say at least some of my goodbyes—knowing I would be back before my Uganda departure to say my final goodbyes! I left Kumi on Sunday May 9th and arrived in Kampala that night to my new home for the next 2 months.

I know some of you may be wondering why only for 2 months. Well, I had requested some time back to leave before my year was up so I could help out my sister with their “surprise” baby #5 due in September! I guess various other factors have also contributed to the timing of my departure from Uganda. I still do not have my travel itinerary set and confirmed at this point, but for those in Canada I do not plan to be back in Vancouver until October sometime.

As far as my volunteer work is concerned, I started working at Mukisa Foundation last week and will begin my work at Mengo Hospital next week. I hope to work 3 days at Mukisa and 2 days at Mengo. At Mukisa there is a local OT currently working there so I am joining him to assist him with his workload and hopefully be able to share our knowledge and learn from each other. Our client population is mainly younger kids with disabilities both physical and mental and a few teenage/young adults. If you want to see more information and pictures of the foundation you are welcome to check it out at this link (http://www.mikwano.org/#/mukisa-foundation/4520569512). At Mengo I will likely be doing more administrative work to assist with organizing and improving the functionality of their early stimulation center. Here as well there is a Ugandan OT whom I will be collaborating with to improve the centre for the kids they work with there.

The remainder of my time I am sure will fly by, but I pray that although it is short, that I will be able to make some useful contribution to both organizations and that I will be able to be a blessing and a light to those around me. I also pray that God would use the weeks ahead to develop a clearer sense of future direction for me and where He is calling me to serve/work on my return.

Thanks so much for your prayers and encouragement.

Hope to post pictures soon of my workplaces here.

2 comments:

  1. Angela,
    I'm enjoying your blog and hearing about Africa. Would love to hear about Karen's family too in September.
    Love,
    Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the update! it's great to keep up with your travels and plans; and praying for you and all these decisions!! and for peace and rest through the transitions...

    ReplyDelete